[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:45:16 UTC 2016

On Tuesday March 22 2016 19:37:32 Sayan Biswas wrote:

Hello Sayan,

> I have used KDE in fedora and done some development also. But somehow I am
> failing
> to install any KDE application on my OSX. I am new with OSX and want to do
> some
> development in the OSX version of KDE.

Do I understand that you are trying to install KF5 ("KDE 5")?

> I have tried Macports but somehow I am unable to build or make any KDE
> application.

It is possible at the moment to install KF5 ports through MacPorts, but it requires using a special port repository, as well as a patched version of Qt5. Setting up MacPorts to use such a repository isn't very hard, and additional testers are welcome.
I'm in the process of upgrading a number of these ports, so I'm not going to point you to my own repository just now.

What would be your development interest in KF5/Mac? Do you just want to make the applications work as optimally as possible, with a feature-set that is as close as possible to the feature set on Linux? Or would you want to focus on making applications that users can interact with as much as possible as they interact with typical native applications? The former doesn't exclude every aspect of the latter, but making standalone, all-containing application bundles still requires a lot of additional work because it is so different.

I've always considered that a 2nd step, something to be tackled after optimal feature-parity had been attained in a more traditional way of installing (with shared libraries and ditto resources, i.e. à la MacPorts or Fink). But quite a few KF5 developers appear to think differently.

> I have also tried using the library https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5.
> The main problem that I am facing is while trying to execute the KF5 archive
> given in the github description/README.md (brew install
> haraldf/kf5/kf5-karchive),
> my terminal gets stuck.

I'm not familiar with HB's way of installing KF5, so I cannot help you there. What kind of Mac do you have, is it well suited for large build jobs?

Cheers,
René