[KDE/Mac] Compile & App Bundle Creation

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 07:30:34 UTC 2016

On Tuesday June 14 2016 22:43:27 Christoph Cullmann wrote:

Hi Christoph,

Did you get any feedback on your qtmacdeploy patch from upstream yet? If you build recipe doesn't depend on an otherwise unpatched Qt I could include that patch in my qt5-kde port. Maybe Marko could then find an additional reason and the time to commit that port (hint, hint ;) ) to the official ports tree.

I would test your recipe if it didn't involve building a way-too-large number of frameworks yet again. In an ideal world (where I had time and resources for that kind of thing) I'd try to merge your recipe with my frameworks ports. There is already the possibility to build them without activating the QSP patch (or simply against the main Qt5 port which doesn't have that patch) so that you get a version which should be suitable for embedding.

Here's another thought. I know you've been focussing on creating perfectly standalone app bundles, but as you probably noticed the OS X "stock" QSP also contain system-wide search locations like /Library/Application Support. It might be interesting to investigate how you could use that optionally, for instance to install the Kate kpart or select Qt plugins so that other applications can use them. This could be done via an additional, dedicated installer, but it is also not uncommon at all for applications to contain an embedded installer. Some provide a menu item to trigger that installer (usually in the app menu), but many simply run it when you first start (a new version of) the application.
Regardless of how useful that is for Kate (or applications depending on Kate), now seems to be a good time to figure out how to formalise this kind of approach which would undoubtedly be useful for distributed applications like KDE PIM.

Evidently a central location under /Library could also be the place to install shared resources like icons or Qt and the frameworks with their dependencies themselves. But apparently no one is interested in that kind of approach which would provide KF5 as a kind of 3rd-party system SDK that woud still allow for otherwise standalone app bundles that can be run from anywhere (on the host).

Cheers,
René