[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 08:29:26 UTC 2016

On Friday April 01 2016 09:59:26 Jonathan Schultz wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

>1. The cairo portfile applied the patch
>patch-src-cairo-tor-scan-converter.c.diff which seems already to be
>applied in the downloaded source. I just got rid of it.

Interesting, I didn't notice that for some reason. I see my port is a bit behind the mainstream anyway so I'll have to sync it one of these days.

BTW, if you plan to use a lot of X11 apps and care about text rendering quality, check out the variants I added to the freetype, fontconfig and cairo ports!

>2. The qt5-kde-devel portfile called wget with some fancy arguments
>about how to display the download progress that my vanilla wget didn't
>like. I just removed those arguments.

Yes, I'll have to get back to that, too. Maybe figure out how to fetch the same link with curl (there's a redirect which wget follows by itself and curl doesn't). If you have suggestions in that area I'm taking, but otherwise I'll just get my inspiration from MacPorts "base".

>Now I just need to figure out what I can do with these ports. But I'm
>away from home for a few more days so won't get onto that until next week.

If you mean "do with my ports": in principle you should be able to do everything with them that you can do with the mainstream/official ports.
You can also install KF5 Frameworks 5.20.0 and, say, okular via the commands you're starting to know by now. I've never tested whether something like `port install kf5-okular` will indeed pull in all required dependencies (I might have missed some that I already had installed), ditto for a full frameworks install via `port install KF5-Frameworks`, so feedback on that is always welcome.

As to running okular on a remote X11 display: that should be as simple as `env DISPLAY=remote:X.Y okular5 -platform xcb` .

If you want to experiment with full theming, you'll need to set KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 in your environment. Without that, Qt5 will use the cocoa platform theme and you can only apply (widget) styles with e.g. `-style breeze`. You'll notice that Qt5/Mac tends to use the same, platform-default font for almost everything (meaning Lucida Grande 13pt) which causes applications to look like they were designed for the visually impaired. There are also some issues with buttons and comboboxes that aren't always sized appropriately. With KDE_SESSION_VERSION set, the KDE Mac platform plugin is used that I introduced into the frameworkintegration framework. You can still use the Mac native look (`-style macintosh` but I think that should be the default if kdeglobals doesn't specify otherwise) but now the KDE font types/roles will be applied as expected, as well as colour palettes (and icon themes).

>I'm afraid I can't access my home computer right now (wake on LAN seems
>not to be working :/ ) but I'm guessing that since you have solved the
>problem you no longer need this information?

No, I think my analysis was correct since you managed to build the port by now.

>I wouldn't say it was clear to me, but that is probably because I am

OK, that will require some attention too then.

Cheers,
René

PS: OS X's wake-on-lan worked too good for me, causing the computer to wake repeatedly at night for reasons I never bothered to hunt down (possibly a smartphone trying to connect; my LAN is supposed to be inaccessible from outside). You're running OS X in a VM, so you're dealing with 2 if not 3 systems that need waking (if you let the guest OS go to sleep that is). Good luck with that :)