[KDE/Mac] Question about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

Ralf Habacker ralf at habacker.de
Thu Oct 22 19:54:33 UTC 2015

Am 22.10.2015 um 19:24 schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> On Thursday October 22 2015 18:48:30 Marko Käning wrote:
>
>> have you followed the discussion with Qt's developers regarding the QSP patch [1]?
>> If not, I advise you to do a little reading there!
>> Qt won’t ever support such an approach, i.e. one would have to patch it, if KDE itself doesn’t
>> come with its own provisions for this...
> Not exactly, no. The patch was rejected in the presented form, but we were invited to file a bug report (I think it's https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44473). Here we (me, IIRC) managed to make the case for special needs by MacPorts and family.
> My understanding is that the door is still open for a QSP patch that does not alter the default QSP behaviour, which is exactly what my patch does (i.e. it requires activation).
In the related bug I proposed to extended qt.conf support to cover
QStandardPaths too, which does also not alter the defaults (wich is the
case if qt.conf is not present)  and would be highly customizable.
(see
https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-44473?focusedCommentId=272971&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-272971)
Because the proposal supports environment variables too, I guess this
would also cover the OS X needs (env XDG_CONFIG_DIRS).

Ralf