[KDE/Mac] Question to experienced Mac devs about goal of Windows/Mac frameworks

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 08:20:58 UTC 2015

T,FTFY :)

Seriously, how many people on here are Mac developers with significant experience targeting native OS X APIs, and how many have significant experience using Macs as Unix-based workstations with a true, integrated desktop? Think of significant as "going back to before the last few, free iterations of the OS".
I wouldn't even call myself the former (I just have a working experience with the native APIs) but I'm very much the latter.

All contributions are welcome esp. on platforms where there is very little support, but IMVHO, people not in either category shouldn't be making official design decisions for the platform in question (and that applies not just to Mac / Mac OS X).

I'd advise very strongly to get, install a number of commercial big software suites (MS Office, Adobe Creative, etc) and study how they are installed and where they put things. Both examples exist on multiple platforms, and MS Office is actually very well written for OS X.

As to DBus: it's not just a piece of foreign software that happens to work on OS X, but is actively developed for that OS. There is nothing "anti-mac" in using it.