[KDE/Mac] OS X : org.kde.klauncher5 was not provided by any .service files

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 10:45:35 UTC 2015

Hi RenĂª,

On 24/11/2015, at 10:27 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> It looks I'm getting stuck with my efforts to get a working KF5 frameworks install into /opt/local; I hope this is not because I already have my KDE4 install in there.
>
> After installing kf5-kinit and kf5-kded, kded5 shows the following error:
> klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
> "KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling kdeinit_exec_wait:\nThe name org.kde.klauncher5 was not provided by any .service files\n"
> kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
>
> I have:
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/kf5_org.kde.KLauncher.xml
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.KLauncher.xml
>
> As a reminder, when I try to start kglobalaccel5, it also fails with the message
> "No such object path '/org/kde/kglobalaccel"
>
> while I have the files
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.kglobalaccel.service
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/kf5_org.kde.KGlobalAccel.xml
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/kf5_org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.xml
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.KGlobalAccel.xml
> /opt/local/share/dbus-1/interfaces/org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.xml
>
> I only see "org.kde.XXX' references in the CMake files and in the source, so where do the "kf5_org.kde.XXX" files come from -- not because I have KDE4 equivalents installed I hope?
> How is kdeinit_exec_wait supposed to find org.kde.klauncher5 if there's no file with that name, nor any *.KLauncher.service file?

I seem to remember that Jeremy Whiting found several service files that
contained wrong data and file paths, though I do not remember the details,
nor do I know whether the bad files would affect your situation.  I think the
same problem (with the files) may also exist in Macports' KDE 4 ports.

> There there's also a crash in kdeinit5 because (from the looks of it) it does an exec-after-fork,
> which is allowed only in very specific conditions on OS X. It's possible that one was already
> solved once for kdeinit4, I haven't yet had the time to check that out.

I think there is an option in kdeinit4 that makes kdeinit4 fork and re-exec
itself, ostensibly to avoid the problem you mention.

Cheers, Ian W.