[KDE/Mac] binary compatibility

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:56:16 UTC 2015

On Thursday March 05 2015 12:29:11 meik michalke wrote:

Hi,

A question to start: do you have a way to build RKWard so that it simply installs into MacPorts, without trying to bundle all dependencies? I might be interested to check out the GUI (and see what R knowledge comes back after a couple of years of not using it :)), but as a proper port, not as a standalone bundle.

> a bundle includes the necessary KDE libraries and of course RKWard itself. it
> does not include R from MacPorts, as a lot of our users already use the binary
> packages from http://r-project.org so we're building with those as well.

I can only agree with that :)

>   QIODevice::setTextModeEnabled: The device is not open

That's a message I've seen on 10.9 also (when running in a VM?); it doesn't seem to be of any consequence.

>   Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
>   socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
>   rkward(576)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found

> while that .plist is in the LaunchDaemons directory and appears to be running
> (he reported).

Did he show output from ps or similar, showing that the dbus is indeed running?
Can he run standard KDE applications from MacPorts?

If the dbus-daemon is running there's also the possibility that the DBUS_LAUNCHD_SESSION_BUS_SOCKET env. variable isn't set appropriately: it should show up with the same value both in the shell's environment and through `launchctl export` .

> would you expect this to happen with KDE 4.14.3 compiled on 10.7 if run on
> 10.10?

I'm cc'ing my reply to the MacPorts dev ML, because someone on there may have additional feedback.
MacPorts does not to my knowledge support transferring things from on OS to another: when you upgrade the OS you have to reinstall MacPorts. There's a migration guide for that.

That said, Digia themselves use MacPorts to provide dependencies required for building the binaries they ship through their Qt 5 installers. From what I understand they use a 10.7 build host so that the resulting binaries can even be deployed on 10.6 . I don't have 10.10 myself, so other than relaying that observation I cannot help a lot in this domain.

One more thought: I don't see any evidence of it in the port files, but port:dbus may install differently on 10.7 and 10.10 if you build it from source. If so, it's likely not to function correctly even if it runs.

> the package is rather huge, because MacPorts pulls in each and every
> dependency of a dependency... we're hoping KF5 will make it easier to only
> bundle the absolute necessary parts.

Expect to be selective only at the KF5 level, and still be pulling in most of the current dependencies below KDE one way or another...