[KDE/Mac] binary compatibility

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Thu Mar 5 11:29:11 UTC 2015

hi,

the RKWard development team is currently struggling with some OS X related
problems for its forthcoming 0.6.3 release. to get all of you in the picture:

RKWard is a KDE-based GUI/IDE for R, a programming language especially for
statistics and graphs. since about two years now, we're using MacPorts to
package precompiled binary bundles to make it easy for mac users to install
the software, without the need to compile all of KDE from scratch.

a bundle includes the necessary KDE libraries and of course RKWard itself. it
does not include R from MacPorts, as a lot of our users already use the binary
packages from http://r-project.org so we're building with those as well.

we have rather limited hardware resources, i.e., bundling is done on one iMac
8,1 running OS X 10.7. now, one of our testers tried to install the bundle on
his yosemite machine and runs into this error:

  QIODevice::setTextModeEnabled: The device is not open
  Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a
  socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
  rkward(576)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
  To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
  export $(dbus-launch)
  KCrash: Application 'rkward' crashing...
  KCrash: Attempting to start  directly
  KCrash failed to exec(), errno = 2
  2015-03-05 13:07:35.357 rkward[572:507] modalSession has been exited
  prematurely - check for a reentrant call to endModalSession:

while that .plist is in the LaunchDaemons directory and appears to be running
(he reported).

would you expect this to happen with KDE 4.14.3 compiled on 10.7 if run on
10.10?

in case you'd like to inspect the bundle yourself, you can get it from here:
 http://files.kde.org/rkward/testing/bundles/MacOSX/
it installs to /opt/rkward and /Applications/RKWard to not mess up another
MacPorts installation, but if you're running KDE already you should check
these files/symlinks as they might be replaced:
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
    /Library/LaunchAgents/org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.avahi-daemon.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.freedesktop.avahi-dnsconfd.plist
    /Library/LaunchAgents/org.macports.kdecache.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.mysql5.plist
    /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.slapd.plist
and you will also need to install R >= 3.1.2 from http://r-project.org.

the package is rather huge, because MacPorts pulls in each and every
dependency of a dependency... we're hoping KF5 will make it easier to only
bundle the absolute necessary parts.

however, any hint what we could try to get this running on 10.10 would be
welcome! maybe we're totally barking up the wrong tree here.

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
  dipl. psych. meik michalke