[KDE/Mac] MacPorts

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Jun 7 20:57:48 UTC 2015

Hi René,

On 07 Jun 2015, at 19:32 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been something of a proponent of MacPorts on here, but I've become
> quite disappointed (not to say fed up) with them. The last drop being an
> upgrade to the qt5 port by a maintainer who's never replied to any of my
> emails while I worked on the port (to the point I almost requested a
> transfer of maintainer-ship) and now submitted something loosely based
> on but not 100% compatible with my approach, without as much as a discussion
> of details or a thank you.

you should perhaps post this on the MacPorts dev mailing list instead?!

I also saw his commit and it makes me sad that there was little (i.e. no)
communication before he committed his new version of the qt5 port.

How much of your code did actually go into his new version of the qt5 port?

> So ... what are other members of this select little community using? Not
> that I'm dying to kick the whole /opt/local off my system if not only
> because I have better things to do than reinstall/rebuild its contents
> through another provider, but if/when I have to I'll probably want to
> change pasture.

I’d find it very sad, if this would make you dump MacPorts, which is why
some discussion on the dev mailing list might be a good idea. After all,
qt5-mac is openmaintainer and thus your contributions should be taken
seriously by its maintainer (who - as I noticed myself - was repeatedly
quite unresponsive for long time spans).