[KDE/Mac] Cross-platform with kdeinit5, klauncher5, kded5 and friends

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 02:19:43 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy and René,

On 30/01/2015, at 12:00 PM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Ok, interestingly, kdesrc-build built kded5 here as /Applications/KDE/kded5.app but the dbus .service file is expecting to launch it from /usr/local/bin/kded5 :/ How does cmake differentiate between creating a .app and a command-line executable binary like I have for kbuildsycoca5 (I have it in /usr/local/bin/kbuildsycoca5 and meinproc5 and such?

kded, kdeinit and one or two others *have* to be an app (i.e. a GUI app) because
they can sometimes run things that need to have access to GUI.  KBuildSyCoCa
and Meinproc do not need GUI.

CMake can recognise an "app" in the Apple OS X context and build and install
it in an <appname>.app structure, with a default Info.plist file, derived from a
template supplied by CMake.  Most KDE GUI apps use the default template,
which is pretty minimal (opportunities for "OS X tuning" exist there).

kded4 and kdeinit4 provide their own template, which has an "agent" option in it,
to keep them hidden from the end-user, otherwise they appear as a default icon
in the Dock.  René has been fixing up some other KDE apps as "agents", to stop
them popping up in the Dock unnecessarily.  I do not know how KF5 builds do
this, or even whether they provide an Info.plist template or use a default.

Another weird thing is that Dr Konqi on OS X and KDE 4 builds as an Apple GUI
app, which it is, but it is installled in $KDEDIR/lib/kde4/libexec as a directory
"drkonqi.app".  There are some others in that libexec location too:

    libexec/drkonqi.app/
    libexec/kcmremotewidgetshelper.app/
    libexec/kde_baloo_filewatch_raiselimit.app/
    libexec/kdesu.app/
    libexec/knetattach.app/
    libexec/start_kdeinit.app/
    libexec/start_kdeinit_wrapper.app/

Do they mean something to you, Jeremy?  Any idea why they are there and
not in a "standard" location (they are non-standard in Linux too, IIRC)?

> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 5:34 PM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday January 30 2015 11:05:21 Ian Wadham wrote:
> > DBus runs OK on OS X and I never have any problems with it and I don't think
> > Marko or René do either.  However, AFAIK, only Qt and KDE apps use it
>
> I think that's an over-simplification. Any app that uses it on Linux can theoretically do so too on OS X. I've noticed support for in in xfwm4, for instance. Whether it's used for anything I don't know, of course (= because I haven't studied the question :)).

Sure, neither have I (studied it).  That's why I said "AKAIK"… :-)  If anyone
needs to know, it is possible to extract from MacPorts a list of all direct or
indirect dependents on DBus… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.