[KDE/Mac] qt5-mac-devel -> KF5

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 02:16:24 UTC 2015

On 18/02/2015, at 11:00 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday February 18 2015 22:07:30 Ian Wadham wrote:
>
>>> I *think* that cmake and/or the Qt cmake scripts have a variable you can use to point it to the correct qmake executable.
>>
>> Maybe, maybe not, but it is easy to prepend the required .../bin to $PATH, which
>> you need to do anyway if you are not using /opt/local/bin for Qt 5.
>
> It's not the intention that you have to add /opt/local/libexec/qt*/bin to the path. That's what the *-qt* links are for, and that's what qtchooser is intended to help circumvent too.
>
>>> I guess I could have a look if I can't change qtchooser to support the non-concurrent qt4-mac but that will have to wait until next week.
>>
>> I am not keen on using qtchooser.  It is a Ubuntu thing apparently.  Would
>> it introduce another dependency?
>
> No, it's a "Thiago thing". He wrote it. Then again, when I say I took my layout inspiration from Linux, that boils down to Ubuntu because that's what I'm running. As good a generalists' Linux example to take inspiration for MacPorts from as any, and probably one of the better/best thought out.

Well, I'm a SuSE man myself, so let's agree to differ… :-)

>> And anyway, where do you find qtchooser?  I have tried "which", "port search" and Google.
>
> There's a submission for it on trac. You'll probably be able to figure out how to edit its configuration file(s) to cope with the legacy qt4-mac port yourself; it just needs to be pointed to the Qt bin dir and the lib dir.

I had a look at the trac entry, but it contains very little new information about qtchooser.
Neither does the "Qt interest" thread on qtchooser.

> I realise though that it might be impossible to set it up for the legacy qt4-mac port if that indeed installs qmake, moc etc. in /opt/local/bin . You'd get a name clash ... bummer!

I will just add the location of Qt5's qmake to $PATH.  The location is edited just once into one
setup script.  That script will be activated only if I "cd" to my Qt5/KF5 development area and
the change in $PATH will only apply within the Shell (Terminal window) that does the "cd".

The technique will take care of either the CURRENT qt4-mac port (not "legacy") or the
qt5-mac-devel port.  No problem.  No need of qtchooser on my part.

Cheers, Ian W.