[KDE/Mac] [Interest] Second Qt 5.4 build error on OS X 10.7

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:15:27 UTC 2015

Hi René,

On 14/02/2015, at 8:05 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Saturday February 14 2015 14:57:58 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> Ah, that explains a lot, maybe even the ENDIAN strangeness.  The thought did
>
> Well, I think it's just a coincidence that endian preprocessor macros were concerned and not some other category, but yes. Of course.
>
>>> The obvious fix here is to deactivate qt4-mac (`sudo port deactivate -f qt4-mac`) while
>>> you build Qt5 (or you can move the Qt 4 header file directories aside manually, if you
>>> prefer, so you can keep using Qt4/KDE4 apps during the build).
>>
>> I might go for the second alternative, otherwise I might have to read a book while
>> the build is happening… :-( … :-)
>
> Heh, I take it you're referring to the alternative of playing with your favourite game(s)? :) The thought had crossed my mind!
> Do something like
>
> %> tar -tvf /opt/local/var/macports/software/qt4-mac/* | fgrep /opt/local/include
>
> if you want to be sure you catch all headerfiles. You might even convert that into a command that removes those files from /opt/local/include (and of course you can restore them from the same tarball later on).

I had a look at that for a while, but doing surgery on /opt/local seemed too hairy for
me.  So I settled for the deactivate route.  It took a while to sort out the dependents of
Qt 4 and deactivate them in the correct order, ending with qt4-mac, but now it is done.

>> I might just go back to the extract phase.
>
> It's true that'd be the safest thing to do.

Did that.  And now, as a DBA colleague of mine used to say when he set off a long
database operation, "Cooking… Cooking…".  Three out of four cores going flat out.

> Also reminds me of a colleague 10-15y ago, who actually introduced me to KDE,
> and who clearly spent more time working on his system than with his system…

Yes, I've met a few of them in my years with KDE.  For them, the journey is more
important than the destination.

>> At present I am persevering because I need Qt 5 to build
>> Frameworks/KF5 and also because, if this is to become the official MacPorts
>> qt5-mac port, it has to be transportable and *reproducible* across the range of
>> OS X versions and hardware covered by MacPorts.
>
> Yes, that's why I'm grateful that you're doing this!

Well, only an unknown number of hours to go now… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.