[KDE/Mac] [Interest] Second Qt 5.4 build error on OS X 10.7

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 03:57:58 UTC 2015

On 14/02/2015, at 4:15 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> I could have tackled this one myself, if my eyes had been in front of their sockets as we say here :-/
> It never occurred to me, but the headers from your Qt 4 install are being picked up here.

Ah, that explains a lot, maybe even the ENDIAN strangeness.  The thought did
cross my mind briefly yesterday evening, but it was a pig of a night.  Heat, thunder
and torrential rain…

> This didn't happen to me because I have qt4-mac installed in its "concurrent" variant
> (and the transitional subport doesn't include header files).
>
> The obvious fix here is to deactivate qt4-mac (`sudo port deactivate -f qt4-mac`) while
> you build Qt5 (or you can move the Qt 4 header file directories aside manually, if you
> prefer, so you can keep using Qt4/KDE4 apps during the build).

I might go for the second alternative, otherwise I might have to read a book while
the build is happening… :-( … :-)

> If you're feeling lucky you can try to restart the build where it left off, but it would be safer to do this first:
>
> %> (cd `port work qt5-mac-devel`/build ; make clean`)

I might just go back to the extract phase.  It only takes 15-20 minutes to get back
from there to the destroot.

> Oh, and it would of course be even better if you also installed my +concurrent qt4-mac
> port, with the qt4-mac-transitional subport but I don't want to abuse your kindness ;)

Not to mention my patience… ;-)  If there is one thing I hate, it is building software.
I did too much of it before I retired, usually with an end-user manager breathing
down my neck… :-(  At present I am persevering because I need Qt 5 to build
Frameworks/KF5 and also because, if this is to become the official MacPorts
qt5-mac port, it has to be transportable and *reproducible* across the range of
OS X versions and hardware covered by MacPorts.

> Date: Friday February 13 2015, 07:55:22
> From: Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> To: interest at qt-project.org
>
> On Friday 13 February 2015 14:45:53 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> -I/opt/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/opt/local/lib/glib-2.0/include
>> -I/opt/local/include
> [...]
>> /opt/local/include/QtCore/qobject.h:90:13: note: overridden virtual function
>> is here virtual ~QObjectData() = 0;
>
> Your already-installed version of Qt 4 is interfering.

Ah, Thiago, what a great guy and one of Qt's best.  There was once a golden
year or two in which he monitored the kde-devel list and fielded most of the
questions, much as Ryan does for MacPorts users (another great guy).

Well, it's time to go now.  My daughter and family are moving house today and
there is lots for all of us to do.

Cheers, Ian W.