[KDE/Mac] OSX/CI: plasma-mediacenter fails to build on branch master

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sat Feb 14 16:25:00 UTC 2015

Hi Bhushan,

On 14 Feb 2015, at 16:47 , Bhushan Shah <bhush94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Turns out that was cake :
> http://commits.kde.org/plasma-mediacenter/97d0c507f2c9d04f2df8add00a3bb4c0efcdb3a3

Cool!!! THANKS! I can build PMC successfully on OSX/CI as of now!!! :-D

I thought this would give me a media player application package or so, but I can’t
find anything, which probably means that the project supplies a service “only”?!

On 14 Feb 2015, at 16:57 , Bhushan Shah <bhush94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a complete different note, is it only baloo that is not going to be
> available on macos? or kfilemetadata is also not available/feasible on
> MacOS?

Well, it has been discussed on the KDE-MAC and KDE-DEVEL MLs already a few times,
that it could be wise not to duplicate services which are accessible on other
platforms, like e.g. OSX’ search tool called “Spotlight". This could serve as a
replacement for Xapian, if someone would be able to write a baloo-wrapper for such
a setup. Brad had posted more details on Spotlight’s API a while ago on this
KDE-MAC:

On 29 Apr 2014, at 07:02 , Bradley Giesbrecht <pixilla at macports.org> wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:49 PM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I keep saying they should wander down to the Apple Store and
>> have a look at Spotlight, which is neat and unobtrusive and there
>> when you need it.  But nobody seems to hear … :-)
>
> Following the same thread as you I have wanted to say something similar but I'm just a noob lurker on kde-* at this point.
>
>> I think Baloo will be a lot easier to handle on Mac than Nepomuk.
>
> Was there some talk about wrapping mdfind and mdutil into Baloo functions on OS X?
> I thought this might be easyish and preferable to multiple indexing services.
>

> Regards,
> Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)

But there were posts by Brad and Ian with much more detail on KDE-DEVEL back then [1,2].

Well, as Thomas Lübking wrote:

      “I assume, ideally the api would just abstract spotlight
       on osx? would require someone developing an osx backend."

:-)

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139709275812234&w=2
[2] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139709417812670&w=2
[3] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=139708327409760&w=2