[KDE/Mac] Help my confusion

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:37:35 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

On 09/02/2015, at 4:02 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Sunday February 08 2015 09:13:37 Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>
>> After reading man environ on both systems I've submitted a review request
>> that builds on both machines also https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/122481/
>
> Saw that; looks good. And I see you figured out that _environ was just the way the linker calls the symbol, as I just did :)

I have not been following this discussion, nor, I must confess, do I understand
all of it.  However, how come compiling kdelibs (4) works for me?  I have about
the same Macbook setup as Jeremy (Lion, 4-core, 64-bit) and Xcode 4.6.1 vs.
Jeremy's 4.6.3 (for details see my earlier post on this thread).

The first 20 or 30 lines of kurlcompletion.cpp seem to be essentially the same
in KDE 4, but I have never had any trouble compiling the "environ" bits.

I am using kdesrc-build and CMake to generate makefiles and my CMakeCache.txt
file for kdelibs shows:

//CXX compiler.
CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/c++
//C compiler.
CMAKE_C_COMPILER:FILEPATH=/usr/bin/cc

cc and c++ are links, each evaluating to /usr/bin/clang eventually. And then:

Tara:/kdedev/kde4m/kdesrc/build/kde/kdelibs>file /usr/bin/clang
/usr/bin/clang: Mach-O 64-bit x86_64 executable

So, as far as I can see, I am using Apple's clang.  My workflow is dead simple
(simplistic, some might say :-)), but I like it that way.  I use kdesrc-build to
update source from repositories and rebuild (but not every day).  Then I use
"make install" or "make" in the "build" directory, as I edit the source, taking
advantage of the makefiles generated by kdesrc-build and CMake.

So what is the problem?  That all works for me.  Am I missing something?

I am asking because I cannot see the point of changing KF5 code unless it is
really necessary, especially as the proposed patch, viewed in isolation, is rather
obscure (it needs a comment to help or reassure anyone seeing it a year from now).

Cheers, Ian W.