[KDE/Mac] Help my confusion

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:02:23 UTC 2015

On Sunday February 08 2015 09:13:37 Jeremy Whiting wrote:

> After reading man environ on both systems I've submitted a review request
> that builds on both machines also https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/122481/

Saw that; looks good. And I see you figured out that _environ was just the way the linker calls the symbol, as I just did :)

> What compiler is used by macports, or is that configurable by the end user?

No, at least it's not accepted/supported practice. As far as I've understood, MacPorts uses what the system provides and if that doesn't correspond to blacklisting information it will try to find a matching compiler from the clang compilers installed through MacPorts. So it will never chose a gcc compiler except for port:apple-gcc42 which is the default compiler used on 10.6 and earlier.

Just to clarify: with MacPorts set to use distcc (or a compiler wrapper that does something like `distcc clang.sh "$@"`) you're doing implicit, no hassles cross-compiling in which you can slave your Linux host(s) to build jobs controlled from a Mac. And vice versa. Just make sure that on the Linux side, clang.sh does something like `clang --target=x86_64-apple-darwin "$@"`.