[KDE/Mac] Change in qt/qtbase[dev]: QStandardPaths: Add XDG_CONFIG_DIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS paths ...

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 23:44:13 UTC 2015

On Tuesday February 03 2015 22:28:57 David Faure wrote:

> I strongly disagree, the arguments being made in gerrit were "we need this to
> fix KDE CI on Mac" and "we need this for migration from KStandardDirs", both

I am being accused of "still not understanding it", but that's cheap & easy this way.

Yes, I mentioned migration from KStandardDirs. Did I say it was the only reason? No. I tried to make it very clear that this concerns all applications that use Freedesktop style standard paths, be it because they used KStandardDirs or some other API that serves the same purpose.

Setting up a PC argument that isn't KDE-centric is going to be hard for a community like ours; I think most of us know OS X (to a varying degree of intimacy) and KDE ditto.
Just how many non-KDE applications there are out there that happen to use Qt and that would be really handicapped by QSP as it is? I for one have no idea. I doubt that referring to all those Gnome apps (most of which work fine on OS X) will carry a lot of weight in a Qt-centric argument...

In fact, the only argument I could see right now is that MacPorts could serve as a distribution system for plugins, styles and extension libraries that makes those available system wide, following the Freedesktop/Linux way of doing that. Is that really a good argument, one that cannot be countered by an argument that one could easily achieve the same thing using the QSP as they are?

Again, MacPorts and the likes do not prohibit doing things the OS X way; on the contrary, MacPorts at least contains a number of regular OS X applications that only use libraries and/or helpers in /opt/local but for the rest use /Applications, Library/Application Support, etc.  Even Qt4 itself maintains the settings database which QtConfig taps into as a .plist in ~/Library/Preferences, and no attempt has been made to store that file elsewhere so that it remains visible to all Qt4 applications.