[KDE/Mac] KDE help-center on OSX useless

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 12:14:48 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 20/09/2014, at 9:32 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> just an idea: another useful project for KDE users on OSX would be if the
> "KDE Help Center” would actually find the KDE help files installed on an
> OSX system.
>
> But perhaps it is only due to me have globally set variant default “-docs”
> on my MacPorts installations...
>
> Can anyone of you verify that documentation for installed KDE apps is
> actually visible in the “KDE Help Center”?

Yes, I have seen it. But I have stopped installing +docs owing to the
extreme laboriousness and massive irrelevant dependencies MacPorts
goes in for if you are bold enough to ask for +docs on a single KDE
app… :-) We have discussed this on macports-dev a couple of times.
I really cannot understand why I need to have all of Tek and a few of
its translations into European languages.

Back in January/February I was definitely able to write documentation
for Palapeli and to review it on-screen on my MacBook, but I think I had
to plant a link down in /opt/local to point to my most recently edited copy
of the doco, which was in my work-area. I don't remember exact details.

Currently, that version of Palapeli still gets doco, but the one in my kde4.13
development area does not, because of some problem with klauncher (a
friend of kdeinit4 ;-)).

I think KDE Help Center could be made to work reproducibly, but I am
reluctant to do anything about it until it becomes easier to install KDE
docs using MacPorts. All it needs to do is run meinproc4… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.