[KDE/Mac] KDE opening documents through the Finder

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 20:36:20 UTC 2014

Hello,

A while ago we discussed ways to let KDE applications receive and handle drag-and-drop and double-clicking of files through the Finder. I mentioned a wrapper app I'm working on, but also that Qt provides a hook.
I've now obtained the relevant information: Qt sends an event (available only on OS X and Symbian) to the QApplication instance when the OS "posts" a request to open a file.

Where could we treat that event (= add a case to some central event handler) and to what KDE event should it be transmitted/proxied?

Subject: Re: OS X/LaunchServices
Date: Sunday October 12 2014, 10:00:35

> I think I've seen support in Qt (4 or 5, don't remember) to build apps that retrieve the paths to documents dropped onto the app icon via the Finder, I presume merging them into a classic argc,argv set.
> If that indeed exists, could you give me some pointers to the relevant documentation, so I can see if we can hook into that from the KDE build system (cmake macros) without requiring (too much) modification in client source code?

It's more asynchronous: the application is already open and then it receives a QFileOpenEvent.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qfileopenevent.html#details
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qfileopenevent.html#details