[KDE/Mac] Fwd: Article: Slackware Developer Not Happy With KDE5 Development

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 16:48:11 UTC 2014

On Thursday October 16 2014 18:22:36 Mario Fux wrote:

> First and foremost. It's great to see my kde-mac mailing list folder growing
> with unread messages. There seems to be so much work going on. Thanks!

You're welcome!

> > hear, hear :)
>
> Some context? You might be a bit more verbose?

Well, I think the article speaks for itself. It evokes a number of observations I've made myself. While I can understand that at some point one has (or wants) to move forward, the whole migration to KF5 is beginning to have a bit too much of a "burning bridges behind us" thing going on. There could be a bigger effort to work on a global release in the background, as the article states. I guess it's not a too noticeable problem in the Linux world where the distro maintainers can take over maintenance of KDE4 code. But we KDE-mac people often get the remark that we really ought to be doing our thing on KF5, I've even been told that working on KDevelop 4 is beating a dead horse. Not that I couldn't use a different IDE, but KDevelop's integration with the documentation and code comments make it a prime tool to work on KDE code that one isn't yet intimately familiar with. As such it should, IMHO, be one of the last applications to see all its development move to KF5.

Mind you, it's not that I don't understand why this happens. It's just a pity (if not shame) that there hasn't been a more systematic effort before to reap the benefits of Qt's cross-platform nature and work towards a more integrated/native KDE experience on OS X. After all cross-platform development is one of the best ways to discover dormant bugs in your code ...
(Qt too would have benefited; there are issues on OS X that remain in Qt5 and that probably could have been addressed before a big commercial code-base depends on them or specific work-arounds ;) )