[KDE/Mac] Some issues found while testing branch 'KDE4.13'

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:49:38 UTC 2014

On Sunday October 05 2014 23:15:50 René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> >> Mon Nov 11 18:12:11 2013.  This added a reset() to KXmlGuiWindow
> >> (kdelibs/kdeui/xmlgui/kxmlguiwindow.cpp), to prevent a crash in the main
> >> window's code, but it clobbers all children of the main window, including
> >> KGoldrunner's message box.
>
> Wouldn't that perchance also explain the update/refresh issue Marko is seeing?

You know how I had this issue where I'd start `kdevelop --ps` and then had to cycle the session-selection dialog to give it an update event and get it to fill in?

That issue is gone.

The only thing I changed that I can think of is that I've been trying different default fonts. Fonts (rather, font attributes, typefaces) are a tricky thing under qt4-mac. I've come to the tentative conclusion that Qt stores font selections in some kind of cross-platform encoded format that seems based on the way X11 represents them, and which doesn't allow unambiguous reverse mapping. So a perfect UI font like Segoe UI 11 Semi-Bold "promotes" to the Bold version.
I finally settled down on using 11pt Novarese Bold for the default font, giving up on bold text in dialogs and message panels and such.

NB: the same issue also exists in Qt5, and can easily be demonstrated with the Assistant from the official installer ...