[KDE/Mac] Upgrade to 4.13.3 in Macports

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 21:52:23 UTC 2014

On 04/10/2014, at 12:21 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On 20141003 14:28, Marko Käning wrote:
>> Well, once we release 4.13.3, we should be able to get stack traces into DrKonqi without any magic like this.
>> Or, if it’s needed, it should be already taken care of during installation time for all ports.
>
> In that case, the kde4 portgroup should ensure that ports are built with debug info and that that info isn't stripped.
> CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release is fine, but it'd probably be better to use something like CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=MacPorts.

What happened to CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo? In KDE builds, at least,
that is supposed to get you just enough info for stack traces. The info drains away when
you get down the stack to Qt libraries, but that does not usually matter --- unless you are
trying to debug something in Qt. For that, I prefer to insert log messages, once I have
the whole thing built from source (without debug), but it has been a few years since
I had to do it...

Re Dr K, it does quite a lot of analysing of the stack trace and gives it some stars
and a comment on the GUI, according to how much "useful info" it contains. Then
it compares the stack trace to previously reported traces and rejects duplicates.
I found I could not keep using the same crash over-and-over for testing… Well,
eventually I discovered I could…

In kde-runtime/drkonqi/reportassistantpages_bugzilla_duplicates.cpp, around
line 231, there is a line that says "#if 1". If you change it to "#if 0", the check for
duplicates looks through old Plasma bugs and, of course, does not find your
bug… :-) Is that still called a "kludge" (pronounced "klooge")?

@Marko, you might like to add that kludge to your Dr Konqi testing variant.

BTW, bugstest.kde.org might not exist forever. I had to get Ben Cooksley to
revive it, but that was quickly done. I think the database was still all there, but
the site was just invisible on the Web.

Cheers, Ian W.

P.S. Here is a way to get a non-trivial stack trace --- it even threw up a bug in
        Dr K's stack-trace processing, which I have fixed and committed now.

Start Palapeli (jigsaw puzzle program in KDE Games). Use Settings->Configure
Shortcuts… to assign a key to the "Restart puzzle…" action (e.g. Command-R).

Now double-click on any puzzle to open it. Use the left mouse-button to drag
any piece… Without letting go of the mouse-button, hit the shortcut for "Restart
puzzle…". Crashes Palapeli every time...