[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Thu Nov 27 13:14:16 UTC 2014

Am Donnerstag, 27. November 2014, 12.07:06 schrieb René J.V. Bertin:
> On Thursday November 27 2014 12:03:21 Mario Fux wrote:
>
> Morning Mario,

Morning René

> >> continue to function. KDE4 apps are supposed to function under KF5, and
> >
> >That's not true. That's like writing "KDE4 apps are supposed to function
> >under Qt5".
>
> Well, I did write exactly that :)

Yes and that's not true. Or not properly written: KDE apps 4.x are working
_beneath_ Qt5-based once. But I think we agree and it's just a detail.

> >If Qt4 and Qt5 are both installed KDE apps based on kdelibs4/qt4 or
> >based on KF5/Qt5 should work beneath each other.

> >KF5 are just the libraries based on Qt5. So KDE apps based on kdeslib4/Qt4
> >should work beneath KF5/Qt5 based apps.

> >The planned release "KDE Applications 14.12" is a collection of KDE apps
> >based on Qt4/kdelibs4 and Qt5/kdelibs5.
>
> So the only thing where I may have been wrong is in thinking that KF5
> contains some kind of KDE4 compatibility glue? I really thought I'd seen
> something like that.
>
> But where I was right was in thinking that if you want a "full" experience
> (whether with the Plasma "desktop sauce" or without) you'll need both KDE4
> and KF5 as long as not all KDE4 applications have been ported. Right? :)

Yes. But let me nitpick a bit more (because I think it's important). "all KDE
applications" is meanwhile so many applications that I'd think nobody will
want to install all of them. From Dolphin, Konqueror, KDEPIM, KDE Games, KDE
Edu, Amarok, KMyMoney to DigiKam, KPhotoalbum, kde-gtk-config, Kamoso,
KRecipes and Bodega and Co.

I think something like a "full" experience works on Linux and Unices with
Plasma and some KDE apps. They integrate quite well. On Mac or Windows or even
Android and iOS it's "just" a great app here and there and they might look
similar and work similar but the "full" experience is not there, they are just
great apps on a certain platform.

And now I try to be silent again and go back to the kde-promo corner ;-)
Thx
Mario