[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Thu Nov 27 07:58:31 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

On 27 Nov 2014, at 04:56 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/11/2014, at 12:39 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
>> Thank you all for the warm welcome.

you are very welcome. We’re glad to see you here!

> Just requesting those via "sudo port install" should automatically bring
> in all the other Perl ports you may need, if they are not already installed.
> This is one of the joys of MacPorts… :-)  What is more, MacPorts records
> what you have requested and you can run "port echo requested" to get
> a list at any time.  Very handy before major moves, such as migrating to
> a new version of Apple OS X.

I hope you’ll see how handy the MacPorts ecosystem indeed is for anything
related to FOSS.

>> 2. Why can't qt4 and qt5 be coinstalled on mac as I asked above?
>
> Why indeed?  MacPorts had KDE4/KDE3 and Qt4/Qt3 apps co-existing
> until not so long ago, but I think there is a lot of work involved for MacPorts
> developers to set the equivalent up for 4/5... and not a lot of demand ATM…

There is a ticket about this [1], but obviously no one has found the time up to
now to actually implement the suggested setup yet.

Well, and Qt4 and QT3 NEVER coexisted really. It was the same setup like with
Qt4 and Qt5 just now: either one or the other...

> As for the rest of us, René is still powering along, but Marko and I have
> been "resting" a little lately, after bashing away at CI, Qt5 directory names
> and Dr Konqi problems.  However I am now beginning to feel the juices
> flow again… :-)  I hope Marko is too!!!

I have to rest more, which is why support for CI and especially for setting up
KF5 ports is needed...

> Once again, welcome aboard, Jeremy!!!  Pick a problem… :-)

+1

And thus my top pick is: Setting up port files for KF5 frameworks - bit by bit!

This way we can get started with KF5 the MacPorts’ish way. HaraldF distributes
all of that via Homebrew already since ages [2] - last updated 2 months ago.

If you post your questions to the macports-devel ML you’ll for sure get a lot of
support from the MP community, as there are not only quite a few KDE users on it,
but also a lot of very capable and helpful port maintainers.

Looking at KDE4’s own port group and the individual KDE4 port file will surely
help, but I guess it should be after all a much less complex job to set up KF5
ports, if you look at [2]. Only little tweaking is needed for OSX and some degree
of MacPorts-mending, mainly related to the install prefix and similar stuff.

[1] Can’t give you the link at the moment as MacPorts’ trac is currently down :(
[2] https://github.com/haraldF/homebrew-kf5