[KDE/Mac] kdesrc-build

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 03:56:57 UTC 2014

Hi Jeremy,

On 27/11/2014, at 12:39 AM, Jeremy Whiting wrote:
> Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I'm glad we have not scared you away… :-)

> At this point I have two questions to get me started/further along:
> 1. What mac port satisfies the perl json requirement of kdesrc-build?
> I tried installing the p5-json-any port, but kdesrc-build doesn't seem to
> either see it or accept it as filling it's requirement for json parsing.

Michael Pyne (kdesrc-build author) told me it requires Perl 5.12 or later.

MacPorts has Perl ports up to about 5.20 and has  a thriving industry in
Perl and Python ports, depending on various versions of Pe* and Py*, so
much so that something like a third of all the port names begin with "p"!!!
There has been some tidying up by the MacPorts developers lately,
but I have not been following it.

For kdesrc-build, a while back, I requested from MacPorts:
    p5.12-json                                         @2.900.0_0
    p5.12-lwp-useragent-determined @1.70.0_0
but now I see that I also have p5.16* ports installed, as dependencies
of kdelibs4, via texinfo, so I might as well be using:
    p5.16-json and
    p5.16-lwp-useragent-determined
and so might you.

Just requesting those via "sudo port install" should automatically bring
in all the other Perl ports you may need, if they are not already installed.
This is one of the joys of MacPorts… :-)  What is more, MacPorts records
what you have requested and you can run "port echo requested" to get
a list at any time.  Very handy before major moves, such as migrating to
a new version of Apple OS X.

I don't know what p5-json-any is, but it is clearly not what you want.
The port info command describes it as a "wrapper".

> 2. Why can't qt4 and qt5 be coinstalled on mac as I asked above?

Why indeed?  MacPorts had KDE4/KDE3 and Qt4/Qt3 apps co-existing
until not so long ago, but I think there is a lot of work involved for MacPorts
developers to set the equivalent up for 4/5... and not a lot of demand ATM…

Nicolas Pavillon, whom you have not met yet, is the main MacPorts
developer for KDE ports and a member of our KDE-Mac group.  He
has been doing an excellent job of keeping up with the latest KDE 4
versions, not to mention our latest patches for KDE 4 core software.
We defer to him on matters re KDE and Qt releases on MacPorts.

As for the rest of us, René is still powering along, but Marko and I have
been "resting" a little lately, after bashing away at CI, Qt5 directory names
and Dr Konqi problems.  However I am now beginning to feel the juices
flow again… :-)  I hope Marko is too!!!

Once again, welcome aboard, Jeremy!!!  Pick a problem… :-)

All the best, Ian W.