[KDE/Mac] of dbus and remote logins

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 11:19:14 UTC 2014

On Saturday November 22 2014 21:37:08 Ian Wadham wrote:

Hi Ian,

> > So how exactly does this work?
>
> You mean it -does- work and you don't know why? Or do you mean how is it -supposed- to work?

I mean, how does the normal dbus magic work on OS X, locally of course. It does work, but I'd like to have a better understanding.

> IIRC, the $DISPLAY value was used for a socket to start a different kdeinit4 session on a
> remote login, but I am not so sure if it relates to your current case.

I think that's what happens on Linux. Or rather, that's what's supposed to happen when you create the session dbus manually.
But evidently the $DISPLAY variable isn't used on OS X (or at least I hope it isn't).

> > It's not like `launchctl load org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist` can set an env. variable in the shell that calls it, even less in other shells running at that time. So how come a KDE application launched over a remote session doesn't simply connect to the session dbus running in the local session?
>
> Is this something else that does not work in KDE 4 in OS X?  Maybe ask about it in kde-devel?

Getting remote dbus sessions to work is pointless on OS X as you well know: Qt4-mac cannot do remote displaying. It's probably also not a good idea to let KDE applications launched remotely connect to the local session dbus (and thus[?] display locally), as a general rule of thumb at least. My question is why they don't. IOW, how does the software determine what dbus to connect to.
AFAIK on Linux you can indeed get the system to launch a KDE app from an ssh session onto the local Xserver without complaints about the session dbus by setting $DISPLAY=:0.0 or whatever the X server's address is.
I highly doubt the regulars on kde-devel know/care a lot about this kind of OS X internals ...

Cheers,
René