[KDE/Mac] of dbus and remote logins

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 10:37:08 UTC 2014

Hi René,

On 22/11/2014, at 9:17 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Quote:
> #> kdevelop -l
> Dynamic session lookup supported but failed: launchd did not provide a socket path, verify that org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist is loaded!
> QIODevice::setTextModeEnabled: The device is not open
> kdevelop(3077)/kdeui (kdelibs): Session bus not found
> To circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)
> export $(dbus-launch)
> KCrash: Application 'kdevelop' crashing...
>
> So how exactly does this work?

You mean it -does- work and you don't know why? Or do you mean how is it -supposed- to work?

> I can see how software knows to which dbus to connect under X11 where IIUC it's $DISPLAY that's used to figure out the socket name. But on OS X? How does (in this case) kdevelop know I'm logging in remotely?

IIRC, the $DISPLAY value was used for a socket to start a different kdeinit4 session on a
remote login, but I am not so sure if it relates to your current case.

> It's not like `launchctl load org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist` can set an env. variable in the shell that calls it, even less in other shells running at that time. So how come a KDE application launched over a remote session doesn't simply connect to the session dbus running in the local session?

Is this something else that does not work in KDE 4 in OS X?  Maybe ask about it in kde-devel?

(Shrug) I'm even more in the dark than you are. Never even did a remote login on any PC… :-)

Cheers, Ian W.