[KDE/Mac] Warning: Partial upgrade to KDE 4.13.0 is UNSAFE atm

mk-lists at email.de mk-lists at email.de
Tue May 13 05:15:35 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 13 May 2014, at 04:55 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you know I have successfully compiled and built some
> core KDE 4.13.0 modules and libraries, using the Portfiles
> and patches Nicolas sent me.
speaking of which, could you send those port files and patches
to me, so that I can include them in [1]?

> At first it seemed as if the KDE 4.12.4 apps were working
> fine with the KDE 4.13.0 libraries and Qt 4.8.6, but now
> serious problem has emerged.
Oh, okay, that means I will have to isolate those port files in
a separate branch. Good to know!!!

> Luckily I have just completed our annual accounts and our
> tax refund is on its way … :-)
Never touch a running system. ;-)
Or better, you always need to have a backup route…

> I have reactivated KDE 4.12.4 modules and libraries,
> but KMyMoney and KSudoku are still failing somewhere
> in KIO.
Oh dear!

> So my advice is NOT to install a partial KDE 4.13.0 UNLESS
> you can isolate it completely from your regular KDE work.
Yep!!!

> I presume KMyMoney with KDE 4.12.4 does run OK under
> normal circumstances.
I am running KMM’s git master just fine here on 4.12.4 since weeks!

So, yes, it must be caused by your current mix of KDE versions.

The good news from my end is that I eventually was able to bring
a Mavericks virtual machine to life by using Parallels 9 - after
having tried umpteen times to achieve the same with VirtualBox.
(The latter has been to no avail whatsoever unfortunately, since
the VM booted only partially into the Mavericks basic install DMG
and then hung up on my i7 for some unknown reason.)

So, once I have a dedicated VM for a KDE 4.13.0 test, I can try
to verify your findings in an isolated environment.

Looking forward to get MacPorts installed on my VM. :-)

[1] https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/sdk/macports-kde/repository