[KDE/Mac] Suggestion to set up a central MacPorts/KDE repository for easy exchange of MacPorts port files

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:24:01 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 10/05/2014, at 7:31 PM, mk-lists at email.de wrote:
> On 10 May 2014, at 04:56 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Or, for infrequent usage, I could commit on anyone else's behalf.  Once inside, there
>> are lots of places to put tools and partly developed stuff you wish to share.
> So, we’re at least two among MacPorts-based developers with direct KDE access. :)

Yup!  But to be used with care … :-)  I find it quite scary that anyone who
has access can modify anything anywhere in KDE software, but I think
there is some monitoring of what we commit.

>> Either a KDE or a MacPorts repository would suit me fine - git or SVN.
>> Meanwhile I am hoping Nicolas will send me an advance copy of his
>> Portfiles to get me going again … :-)
> I hope you’ll be able to get those KDE 4.13 ports installed using his current version of
> kdelibs4 port. In that case it might also enable you to update the section entitled
> 	“Configure your KDE development environment”
> in [1] if you want to enable someone else to use kdesrc-build instead of MacPorts’
> KDE ports.

Yes, that [1] is a desirable goal, if I can just get kdesrc-build to go … ;-)  That
Zarboz guy must have hit it at a lucky time.

It turns out that one at least needs some MacPorts patches to overcome KDE
portability problems and so it might make sense to put some of them upstream.
OTOH I can think of at least one case where MacPorts just decides to do things
differently to KDE and, if that is a patch, it should *not* go upstream.

Perhaps these things will "all come out in the wash", as my accountant
likes to say, when we have closer links to KDE CI, testing and releases.

Cheers, Ian W.