[KDE/Mac] Fixes for Filelight utility and LSkat game

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun May 11 04:00:48 UTC 2014

Hi Marko,

On 10/05/2014, at 6:54 PM, mk-lists at email.de wrote:
> On 10 May 2014, at 04:56 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
>> But this is where "secret KDE business" comes in.  I can set $KDEHOME
>> automatically in each of my testing environments and that is where my
>> config and personal data will go.
> Hmm, ok, good.
>
> Well I am not knowledgable enough regarding the inner workings of KDE,
> but I could imagine that it is perhaps not so easy to run one distinct version
> of the environment as a specific user.
> Imagine you’re logged on as one user an account which makes use of the
> current MacPorts-standard KDE 4.12.4. You call e.g. palapeli, work your
> a puzzle and decide you want to go for a KDE 4.13.1 test build:
> 	Wouldn’t you have to make sure now that all the daemons and apps
> started by “KDE 4.12.4 secret business are shut down before even starting
> palapeli 4.13.1 to be really isolated? Well, if you’re saying that both versions
> are binary compatible it might be nice, but it is not safe enough to be sure,
> right?
>
> Though I understand that it is possible to use something like this
>> $ KDEHOME=/Users/ian/src-kde/home/b1 /Users/ian/src-kde/builds/b1/bin/palapeli
>> to prepare a dedicated home for possible version specific user data.

There are several other environment variables that need to be set to
achieve full isolation.  These are set in a script which is run automatically
as soon as I "cd" to my programming work-area, thanks to a special "cd"
function in my ~/.profile.  I can have more than one such area, each with
its own setup.

With apps, I do not worry about versions of KDE apps and daemons, unless
perhaps the app is complicated by having plugins and KParts.  It turns out
that the daemons and background processes needed to run an app are
not running continuously, but only occasionally as a result of library calls
made by the app (e.g. if Palapeli requests a plugin to slice a new puzzle).

The only thing that runs all the time is central DBus, apparently.

> In the end, it seems to me, that it might be necessary to even have a dedicated
> local user account for each KDE version under test.

A dedicated user account is recommended by the manual for kdesrc-build.

I tried it, but did not get very far.  It failed on git setup and repository access,
but should work if you are going to use anongit.  I think it will give you private
ownership of processes you may start indirectly, but everyone gets the same
central DBus, MacPorts, etc. which are owned by root.

Cheers, Ian W.