[KDE/Mac] Request to modify kdelibs4 dependency on shared-mime-info

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sat Jul 19 08:12:54 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

On 19 Jul 2014, at 04:38 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it should be made into a -direct- dependency of kdelibs4,
> bearing in mind that soprano, strigi and all those nepomuk
> dependencies will eventually go.
yep, preventive action sounds like a good idea.

> I will be modifying the scripts for my test environment so as
> to define XDG_* environment variables which will tell KDE
> libs to get mime types from MacPorts, plus any new or updated
> ones that are in the KDE release.  See spec at [1].
Check out also [2], which shows nicely what’s predefined in Qt5.

> I don't think there is any need for MacPorts to do anything about
> the XDG_* variables, unless you want to re-direct XDG_DATA_HOME
> and XDG_CONFIG_HOME, which default to $HOME/.local/share and
> $HOME/.config at the moment.
>
> I see that ~/.local/share and ~/.config get created and some KDE apps
> are putting stuff down there.  Even inkscape and gtk-2.0 are putting
> files in ~/.config --- and they are not KDE apps.
Yes, that also happens on the Qt5-based CI system and I already started
to mess with it, because the KDE devs on kde-framework-devel claimed
that Qt5 needs some patches in that area. However, as I’ve found a nice
piece of Qt5 documentation [2] yesterday, I haven’t gone back to that ML
yet, but it seems like that Qt5 already could be setting everything
appropriately.

I e.g. saw that the CI systems test files did go into the defined
~/.qttest directory.

Currently I have fiddled with it and now stuff like that goes into a
separate directory on my CI system [3].

> Maybe these files should go somewhere in ~/Library/Preferences.  Dunno,
> this is a huge Apple OS X grey area for me.
That’s what’s also discussed on K-F-D [4] and I really wonder what’s the
better solution. I begin to think that René’s suggestion might be the
best way to handle things (as there are already many MacPorts-installed
applications based on GTK, KDE4 and Qt[45] which do save their files
XDG-compliantly):

On 19 Jul 2014, at 07:44 , René JV Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I'd say leave them there. Library/Preferences is for OS X
> apps, lower level unix stuff could very well go where it goes on other
> systems and where it'a expected to be by software and savvy users alike.

I sort of don’t see the reason to go through the hassle of re-defining
everything just for the sake of Qt5, although David Faure isn’t in favour
of applying XDG standards to OSX...

But I guess this has be be discussed more widely than just among us!

As in said discussion with David [4] - honestly speaking - I get lost
over and over again, because there are so many different locations for
config and data files to be stored on a system (read-only and writable
ones). I lack knowledge about KF5’s inner workings (as well as Apple’s
rules regarding the placement of system and user data) and it would be
great if this whole area could be clarified a bit fruther. But I guess
Qt5/KF5 is currently only relevant to me currently, since you guys are
still busy enough with KDE 4 and still will be for quite a while to
come, I suppose...

Yet, I do need to patch Qt5’s sources for QStandardPaths in a certain way,
as I need to allow for the required redefinition of paths for use with
the CI system [5]. This was at lower priority for me up to now, since I
was rather busy building KF5 itself and some additional KF5-based apps
all along the route towards KMyMoney… But since Cristian Onet was so
amazingly active on the Windows port, we were now able to finally bring
the KMyMoney-KF5 port also for Linux to KDE’s Jenkins [6] and we have a
first successful build since yesterday! Hurray!!! :-D

So, this means, I can now focus on getting better CI-related patches into
Qt5’s sources… I am NOT looking forward to it, since it takes ages to
build and deploy the whole stuff… ;-(

Anyway, I think it would be good, if we could come to a consensus about
the (read-only, writeable) data/config locations on OSX! I don’t believe
you also want to join the K-F-D mailing list, but perhaps we can come up
with a decision here and I’d then go back with it to K-D-E.

If we only had even more (real) OSX devs on this ML!!! ;-)
But I am very happy about the two we do have! :-D
Great that René joined the team!!! I hope he and you, Ian, will serve as
some trigger to attract more KDE and OSX devs to support us here on KDE-MAC.

P.S.: Am I writing too much, perhaps?

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.7.html
[2] http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/qstandardpaths.html
[3] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-frameworks-devel/2014-July/017392.html