[KDE/Mac] file dialogs

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 02:53:02 UTC 2014

Hi René and Marko,
On 10/07/2014, at 7:50 AM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Jul 09, 2014, at 23:24, Marko Käning wrote:
>> On 09 Jul 2014, at 23:02 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ... and thus it might be relatively easy to let the user decide which type to use? (OpenOffice has or used to have such an option.)
>>
>> well, I think we should add ideas like that somewhere to our "KDE problems"
>> site as ideas for the KDE developers and for ourselves to keep track of [1].

Definitely, Marko… :-)

I notice on the KDE Frameworks Porting Notes web page
https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes#KDEUI_Changes
that there is a trend for KDE dialogs to be replaced by Qt dialogs in KF5,
but I find no mention of KFileDialog.  Historically, Qt and KDE libs have
progressed hand-in-hand, but in the early days KDE led the way in "appy"
and "desktoppy" things, such as KStandardDirs, KMainWindow, KConfig
and KDialog boxes, while Qt focussed on internals, such as lists, graphics, etc.

Now I think Qt has caught up in most areas, so I think it is better to use
a Qt version of a method than a KDE one, if there is no significant loss of
functionality, because you automatically get portability to Linux, Windows
and Apple OS X, often with a native "look and feel" thrown in.

From what Boudewijn has to say, it sounds as though QFileDialog is not
quite "there" yet, but it must be close --- which would leave KFileDialog
being deprecated in KDE Frameworks in the future, I guess.

> I found this: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=98053
>
> 3 years old, and curiously I get exactly the same corruption when I select native dialogs the indicated way. I'll see if I can have a play with the patches given, unless someone beats me to it (will be unable to look at this tomorrow and for about 2 weeks after Friday…)

Interesting.  Please leave us word of how this goes, René.

Cheers, Ian W.