[KDE/Mac] crashing kactivitymanagerd

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Tue Jul 1 07:07:28 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

> As far as I can tell, kactivitymanagerd is part of Plasma, the KDE desktop manager,
> which is part of kde-workspace, which AFAIK is not in MacPorts' ports.  But your
> crash log shows (in the header) that *something* has started
> /Applications/MacPorts/*/kactivitymanagerd.app/Contents/MacOS/kactivitymanagerd
>
> So how did that get into your /Applications/MacPorts/ area?  And what might have
> started it?  Dunno.  Before you report anything, check your builds and installs.

oh, well /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4 is the standard location for all KDE4 applications!
So that's it is indeed intentionally done by MacPorts.

> If you meant kactivitymanagerd to go somewhere else in /Applications/, the CMake
> option -DBUNDLE_INSTALL_DIR=/Applications/xxx is your friend.

What I could imagine though is that kactivitymanagerd is perhaps not meant to be build
and run as an app package?! But my knowledge of the KDE software isn't sufficient to
judge that.

However, I met one another case on the KDE/CI system where kconfig_compiler_kf5.app
gets created and installed in the system's bundle directory. But it seems to me that
this isn't an app which should be exposed to the user directly, right? I would expect
this to live in one of these
  /opt/local/lib/libexec/kf5
  /opt/local/bin
  /opt/local/bin/kf5
instead.

Looks like this is a topic for kde-devel?!