[KDE/Mac] Merry Christmas

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 22:04:51 UTC 2014

Hi Martin,

On 23/12/2014, at 6:42 PM, Martin Heni wrote:
> just seen your email from this year and thought I send some Merry
> Christmas greetings to down under. How are you doing after yours second
> retirement?

Hoping for a *third* retirement sometime… :-)

In March this year I unwisely(?) responded to a thread on kde-devel called
"What to test for 4.13?" and I said:

    "While we are on the topic of testing, how much testing is done of
     KDE's cross-platform and cross-desktop implementations?"

These days I work on an Apple MacBook Pro using a service called MacPorts to
install FOSS, including KDE and Qt software.  You can see the story of that on
https://dot.kde.org/2014/06/03/ian-wadham-venerable-kde-programmer
near the end of the interview.

But a lot of the KDE 4 apps were quite badly broken on Apple OS X… and if an
app crashed, Dr Konqi did not work either.  We now have a busy little group on
"KDE Software on Mac OS X <kde-mac at kde.org>" and are finding that most of
the problems are in KDE and Qt libraries, utilities and daemons.  The conditional
code for Apple OS X gets written, but in KDE software it never gets tested !!!

Our group is trying to do something about all this, but it is a hard battle because
the rest of the KDE community is focussed on KF5, to the exclusion of KDE 4,
which we will have on Mac for a year or two yet I reckon.

One of us has been preparing a Continuous Integration (CI) system for KF5/Frameworks
and the good news (just in time for for Christmas) is that he got KMahjongg (KF5) to build
and run in his CI environment… :-)  The CI will be an upstream weir to protect us in the
future from the problems we have been having downstream… :-)

> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2015,
> Martin

Well, a very Merry Christmas and an excellent New Year to you too, Martin.
It was so nice to hear from you… :-)

Best regards, Ian W.