[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 08:42:21 UTC 2014

On Monday 22 December 2014 20:56:57 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Those almost certainly find their stuff because it's in the proper location
> w.r.t. the install prefix, as your question implies already.

I doubt that. Any code that looks up mimetypes using the freedesktop shared-
mime-info spec, is supposed to look into $XDG_DATA_DIRS, which defaults to
/usr/share;/usr/local/share.
That's unrelated to the install prefix of the app.

So if shared-mime-info is installed elsewhere, apps need that env var, to find
it.

Can one of you install shared-mime-info with MacPorts and watch where it gets
installed? And if not in /usr/share or /usr/local/share, can you check if
$XDG_DATA_DIRS is set?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5