[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 19:56:57 UTC 2014

On Monday December 22 2014 10:37:09 Jeremy Whiting wrote:

Hi Jeremy
> I'm sure David meant other applications that expect files to be in certain
> locations following the XDG spec, such as applications (gtk, qt, or
> otherwise) that use the shared mime information in /usr/share/mime or
> /opt/local/share/mime etc.

Those almost certainly find their stuff because it's in the proper location w.r.t. the install prefix, as your question implies already.
MacPorts does almost nothing to my knowledge to impose "Mac or Mac-like" rules or behaviour onto ports, other than putting applications that build as app bundles under /Applications (though there are lots of exceptions, even in KDE), and providing launchd profiles (plists) to allow daemons/agents to be launched automatically.

BTW, even Apple don't require "OS X style standard paths" from the various standard Unix stuff they ship. You won't find ssh's config, *.pub etc. files somewhere under ~/Library, but in good ole ~/.ssh/ , for instance.