[KDE/Mac] Giving up on kdeinit4 and friends

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Sun Aug 31 11:08:16 UTC 2014

Hi René,

> What everyone also needs to realise is that with the current state of things,
> KDE development on Mac has to take place in KDE 4 for the vast majority.

I guess so. That's where our problem lies. We're trying to make things work on
outdated code. :( Same limbo land like back then when the transition from KDE3
to KDE4 happened.

> Also, we don't have the (man)power of distribution groups ([K]Ubuntu, Arch,
> OpenSUSE, ...) behind us who can provide playgrounds like the Neon5 project.

Oh no. How many are we again on this list?

> At the same time, the organisation/implementation of these mailing lists
> don't help integration, and rather favour the them vs. us spirit that Mario
> clearly despises so much.

Yes, unfortunately.

> At the same time, I for one am not looking towards joining yet another
> mailing list just in order to get feedback (e.g. on things I cross-posted)
> from people on kde-devel

I know what you mean, I am subscribed to a handfull of lists by now. That's
also not ideal..

> - and the forums aren't that ... reactive.

I never use them.

> I haven't tried IRC yet, though - have you, Ian? (In fact, I did for some
> Calligra/Krita things I came across: worked quite well.)

For Ian it's impractical due to his timezone, but I use it often and successfully
because it gives you immediate feedback most of the time.

> As an example, I recently came across crashes in kmail that I finally traced back
> to a call to KMenu::addTitle on a menu belonging to the Mac style toplevel
> application menubar.

I guess posting a review request with your fix is probably the best way to handle
this and get feedback?!

> > I hope you find back your joy in hacking on KDE code and send you some Swiss
> > hugs
> If you don't mind, there are other things from Switzerland that I prefer :P

Chocolate! :)