[KDE/Mac] Giving up on kdeinit4 and friends

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Sat Aug 30 16:17:53 UTC 2014

Am Samstag, 30. August 2014, 14.15:33 schrieb Ian Wadham:
> Hi René,

Morning guys

And I've still 13 unread emails in this folder ;-). Or again?

[snip]

> >> I still think it's important to see that first kdeinit(4) is an open
> >> question even for the kdelibs/KF5 people. And second feature
> >> development for kdelibs4 ended years ago and eventhough there is still
> >> bugfixing done for kdelibs4 most of the power goes into KDE Frameworks
> >> 5 as the successor of kdelibs4. And let's not forget that there is not
> >> a huge amount of manpower of KF5 as well...
> >
> > What everyone also needs to realise is that with the current state of
> > things, KDE development on Mac has to take place in KDE 4 for the vast
> > majority. Also, we don't have the (man)power of distribution groups
> > ([K]Ubuntu, Arch, OpenSUSE, ...) behind us who can provide playgrounds
> > like the Neon5 project.
>
> Well said, René!
>
> > At the same time, the organisation/implementation of these mailing lists
> > don't help integration, and rather favour the them vs. us spirit that
> > Mario clearly despises so much. At the same time, I for one am not
> > looking towards joining yet another mailing list just in order to get
> > feedback (e.g. on things I cross-posted) from people on kde-devel - and
> > the forums aren't that ... reactive. I haven't tried IRC yet, though -
> > have you, Ian? (In fact, I did for some Calligra/Krita things I came
> > across: worked quite well.)
>
> I think IRC would be better for some things, but my timezone makes it
> impractical for me… Australia, UTC +10 to 11.

As I mentioned in another email a KDE MAC Sprint would be of great value atm.
Together with some KDE Libs developers. And I tried to do this for Randa two
weeks ago. That we didn't were that lucky about timing and other issues... so
be it. The next better thing I could think of is nonetheless some IRC
meetings. KF5 had weekly meetings over months before the first stable release.

We could do something similar. Not necessarily weekly but bi-weekly or
monthly. Preparing some topics from your side and I'd then try to find and
bring people from other KDE areas. So you don't need to subscribe to more
lists. What do you guys think?

> >> of KDE in the same way as everybody else. But we can't expect from
> >> people that work hard on KF5 on Linux and don't know anything about Mac
> >> OS X to help us.
> >
> > Not for things that are really specific to OS X, but we have our own
> > resources for that. What we do need help with is the KDE internals,
> > knowing how they're supposed to work, and how we might be able to work
> > around incompatibilities with the way things are done on OS X. Remember,
> > we're not reimplementing KDE from scratch. We're trying to get the
> > existing code to work.
>
> Well said, again.

And yes I don't want to waste this great new resources but we need some
coordination and if some ways don't work (sorry Ian) we try new ones.

griits
Mario