[KDE/Mac] KMyMoney, KCrash and more on KF5

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Sat Aug 23 12:14:41 UTC 2014

Am Samstag, 23. August 2014, 11.09:57 schrieb Marko Käning:
> Hi Ian,
> Hi René,

Morning guys

> as you noticed on macports-devel I am eventually able to run qt5 apps which
> need a session dbus! \o/
>
> Well, thanks to Cristian, one of these apps is the frameworks branch
> version of KMyMoney!
>
> :-)

Nice. thx.

> Actually, it is not very surprising that this application still aborts at
> some stage: That is simply due to the fact that my definitions of standard
> locations for configuration and data files aren’t yet fully correct on the
> OSX/CI system. But I am confident to get there. :)
>

> Anyway, I thought, I share the crashlog and the console output with you
> guys, as there is also the expected inability to start DrKonqi on OSX:
> ---
> Could not find drkonqi at
> /opt/kde/install/darwin/mavericks/clang/kf5-qt5/frameworks/kcrash/inst/lib
> /libexec/drkonqi ---
> which must fail, since its executable is located in the plasma-workspace
> framework according to David [1]. Up to now I haven’t tried to build that
> framework, because I thought that it won’t build on OSX anyway...
>
> Since the discussion about placement of DrKonqi [2] lead to the decision to
> put it into plasma-workspace we now DO HAVE A PROBLEM for KF5 on OSX, as
> we won’t ever build plasma-workspace!

Strange. But that means KDE Windows has in the end the same problem. But to
cite Kevin from the email in [2]:
"If not available then kcrash could provide a default very basic one."

Wouldn't this pe possible for the native Mac crash handler?

Otherwise we'd need to ask if it's possible to move DrKonqi back to KF5. I'll
try to ask the KDE Windows guys about their opinion.

> Any ideas how to tackle this? Looks like we need a light-weight version of
> plasma-workspace which doesn’t require X11 but including DrKonqi, or
> suggest to move DrKonqi someplace else??

I don't think that building and using plasma-workspace on Mac is the solution.
If that'd be necessary there is something really broken. plasma-workspace is a
workspace and thus not thought for Windows or Mac OS X and the work to port it
to Wayland just started.

Thx
Mario