[KDE/Mac] launching kded

brad bkn at ithryn.net
Mon Jan 14 15:52:53 UTC 2013

Hey guys,

thanks very much for your input. Its nice to hear how others run kde apps on
OS X. Sometimes i feel like i'm the only one :).

On Monday, January 14, 2013 08:44:30 AM Ian Wadham wrote:
> I presume you are talking about running this stuff on an Apple Mac.

haha -- yeah. Although I should have mentioned my test case. Basically start
konqueror then select Settings->Configure Konqueror ... from the menu. At which
point i get a warning that the cookie handler service could not be started. I
believe this translates into kded4 is not running. start kded4 from the
command line, and all is well. Do you get the same results on your systems?

> I tried to find out more about this kind of thing on kde-devel, a few months
> ago. See http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=134795632703643&w=2

this thread was helpful, glad you asked that list. I know kde is full of
daemons and it is not obvious how they all fit together especially when you
need to run kde apps on a windows or mac environment. it does appear that kded
does a lot of IO monitoring. It kind of surprises me that a daemon that
monitors the filesystem is also needed for khtml cookies. Makes me wonder if
i'm missing something.

> If you really want to live dangerously, how about adding kded4 to Apple
> Mac's System Preferences->Users and Groups->Login Items?  I have done this
> with kdeinit4, with no ill effects.

this sounds like a decent idea for the time being. I will test this out and
look for any adverse effects.

> I also run kbuildsycoca4 from the command line after using Macports to
> install new versions of KDE libraries and apps and that gets a few broken
> apps working, including Digikam I heard just a few days ago on the Macports
> list.

kbuilsycoca4 didn't appear to have an effect. I might have to do some digging
into how khtml works or at the very least produce a more useful error message
so users know to start kded4.

I doubled checked that kdeinit4 was running (and it does start when i lunch
konqueror). It does start, but it does not appear to kickoff kded4.

Thanks again, back to hacking, cheers,
 -- brad