[KDE/Mac] Re: KDE vs Macports (Was: trouble with snow leopard)

Steven Britton stevencbritton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 14:33:25 CET 2011

I'm fairly new to this list, but I do feel I need to make a statement
at this point, given the lack of agreement in this exchange here.

The fact is that the moment something becomes publicly availably, be
it alpha, beta, gamma, omega, whatever, segments of the public are
going to begin using it, especially when the product is a dependency
for  something else.

I came to KDE because I found KdenLive, a nice video editing package
which, until KDE version 4.5.4 came out, worked very well.  4.5.4 has
broken, from what I can see in the MacPorts bug tracker, every
KDE-dependent package out there.  This is a serious issue.  That is
why I am now here, subscribing to this list, and also why I am trying
to squeeze in a few minutes each day manually reinstalling 4.5.3.

I have asked about this in multiple places, and no one seems to know
anything - or care enough to actually respond - which, from an
"end-user's" perspective, extremely disappointing and frustrating.
People want to attract devs, and that's all fine and good, but without
"end-users", the dev work becomes rather pointless beyond development
for the sake of development - "because I can."

If the issue posed by an "end user" is a simple one, a simple answer
will suffice.  I don't think that people who knowingly install a free,
open-source package expect paid-software level support, or a feeding
frenzy on every minor bug in the system; many times, a friendly nudge
in the right direction is all that is needed.

My point? This may be a dev community, but don't write off the end users.

On 2011-01-04, at 5:14 AM, Mike McQuaid <mike at mikemcquaid.com> wrote