[KDE/Mac] My dbus doesn't work on MacOSX anymore...

Marko Käning mk-lists at email.de
Sun Aug 7 18:34:37 UTC 2011

Hi KDE devs,

I've got a question concerning dbus.

I installed kde 4.7.0 via MacPorts on MacOSX and experience an annoying problem with dbus since many weeks which is preventing starting of any KDE application [1].

Only today I found the tool qdbus which revealed that it is impossible connect to the system dbus:
---
$ qdbus --system
Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /opt/macports-test/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: Connection refused
---

Checking the socket shows that it should be read- and writeable to anyone:
---
$ ls -la /opt/macports-test/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
srwxrwxrwx  1 root  messagebus  0 Aug  7 10:18 /opt/macports-test/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket
---

One can also see that the path towards the socket is free:
---
markos-imac:~ marko$ ls -la /opt/macports-test/var/run | grep dbus
drwxr-xr-x   4 messagebus  messagebus  136 Aug  7 10:18 dbus

markos-imac:~ marko$ ls -la /opt/macports-test/var/run/dbus
total 0
drwxr-xr-x  4 messagebus  messagebus  136 Aug  7 10:18 .
drwxr-xr-x  5 root        admin       170 Jul 22 16:51 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root        admin         0 Jul 22 16:51 .turd_dbus
srwxrwxrwx  1 root        messagebus    0 Aug  7 10:18 system_bus_socket

---

In the last lines I see that there is a mix of messagebus and root in ownership… But I guess this isn't the reason.

Any ideas what could go wrong here?

P.S.: What's the .turd_dbus file for?

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/29409