[KDE/Mac] Re: Developing KDE on Mac

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 5 17:25:44 CEST 2010

Am Freitag, 1. Oktober 2010 15:03:57 schrieb Mike McQuaid:
> On 30 Sep 2010, at 19:41, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > From my point of view, if would be good, if we get good, Free Software
> > GUI frontends for the fink and macports package management systems.
> > The GUI should support what the backends offer. This has two
> > consequences:
>
> http://porticus.alittledrop.com/

I think porticus is non-free [1].
So it does not give us enough control.

> http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/
>
> They already exist. I don't know anyone who uses them. I'm not sure what
> the advantage is of creating one from scratch that looks like an installer.

That is a question for Sjors, I think. :)

> > a) if we would need to have links from official places into the fink
> > installation, this would need to be supported from the backend, not the
> > gui. Maybe something like the alternative system from Debian, if we like
> > to have several versions of fink to be installed
> >
> > b) there is no conflict if users mix usage of the gui frontend and the
> > command line frontend to the package manager. The Hildon application
> > manager of Maemo5 (N900) shows that this is possible. Hildon is a
> > frontend to libapt and thus dpkg. There are some little extras to define
> > the packages visible to the user, but overall you can mix command line
> > and gui and have nice updates.
>
> In this case, you're depending on a Macports/Fink installation which,
> earlier in the thread, the Fink developers said wouldn't be a good idea.

I understood the Fink developer in a different way: He saw problems if just a
few packages are installed by something else that creates a conflict with the
fink packaging solution. I am assuming a frontend that does not create a
conflict, Hildon application manager is an example that does this reasonably
well. So it is possible.

[1] http://alittledrop.com/blog/?p=3#comment-10
   "I’ve never written a specific licence agreement for Porticus.
   It is not currently open source"

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.