[KDE/Mac] Re: Developing KDE on Mac

Mike McQuaid mike at mikemcquaid.com
Fri Oct 1 15:03:57 CEST 2010

On 30 Sep 2010, at 19:41, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

> From my point of view, if would be good, if we get good, Free Software
> GUI frontends for the fink and macports package management systems.
> The GUI should support what the backends offer. This has two consequences:

http://porticus.alittledrop.com/
http://finkcommander.sourceforge.net/

They already exist. I don't know anyone who uses them. I'm not sure what the advantage is of creating one from scratch that looks like an installer.

> a) if we would need to have links from official places into the fink
> installation, this would need to be supported from the backend, not the gui.
> Maybe something like the alternative system from Debian, if we like to
> have several versions of fink to be installed
>
> b) there is no conflict if users mix usage of the gui frontend and the command
> line frontend to the package manager. The Hildon application manager of
> Maemo5 (N900) shows that this is possible. Hildon is a frontend to libapt
> and thus dpkg. There are some little extras to define the packages visible
> to the user, but overall you can mix command line and gui and have nice
> updates.

In this case, you're depending on a Macports/Fink installation which, earlier in the thread, the Fink developers said wouldn't be a good idea.

Mike McQuaid
http://mikemcquaid.com