[KDE/Mac] [rkward-users] problem installing on Mac

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Tue May 11 15:02:13 CEST 2010

On 10 May 2010, at 15:39, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> I continue to be positively amazed by the inclusiveness of KDE. However, there
> *are* reasons to keep RKWard as an external project. If you really wish to
> discuss those, feel free to post to rkward-devel AT lists.sourceforge.net .

Fair enough, I'm not going to critique your reasoning, I'm just saying that it's something to consider.

> Well, not quite what I had hoped for, but thanks for your assessment!

Apologies and thanks :)

> Could you still provide some generic instructions on how KDE4/cmake-based
> software can be compiled on the mac? After all, properly setting up a build-
> environment is the very first step, either way.

The generic instructions are: it's the same as compiling on Linux. CMake does all the hard work for you, you might just need to specify some path hints to CMake using, for example, "-DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/3rdpartysoftware" or something similar on the command-line.

There's not really a single reason why things don't "Just Work", there will be a selection ranging from bugs in KDE's Mac support to differing library versions to CMake bugs to path hints being required.

Hope this helps!

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk