[KDE/Mac] Packaging (was Re: [rkward-users] problem installing on Mac)

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:37:36 CEST 2010

On Monday, May 10, 2010, Mike Arthur wrote:
> 3) Make a Fink and Macports package rather than getting users to compile
> manually.

I don't think that a upstream developer should be also responsible of
packaging applications for every platform/packaging system in the world.

I've ported KMid (in extragear/multimedia, current release: 2.3.0) to Mac OSX
and Windows, offering the same user experience on each platform as the Linux
version has. I think it is easy enough to compile it anywhere. Being myself a
Linux user, I've also published quick and dirty packages for Ubuntu and
openSUSE, but this is clearly a job for somebody else doing it better by
focusing on a single platform and packaging standard.

I'm willing to provide help, support and advice to anybody wanting to make
Fink/Macports packages for KMid. Volunteers?

Regards,
Pedro