[KDE/Mac] [rkward-users] problem installing on Mac

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Mon May 10 16:02:05 CEST 2010

On 8 May 2010, at 13:28, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:

> Some background information:
> - RKWard is based on KDE4, but is not developed in KDE's SVN (see the above
> wiki page)

That's going to make it pretty hard for KDE people to be able to contribute fixes. It's SVN as well, right?

> - Our sources contain some X11-specific code, that is not yet ported to the
> Mac. Thus I suppose we will need to use an x11-flavored KDE-installation. As
> far as I can see, macports does not provide that, but fink does.

KDE/X11 on Mac is truly horrible to use. I'd be surprised if anyone using KDE on Mac will use it. The X11 environment is just unpleasant to use, it breaks a lot of the window management stuff that Mac users expect to work. I wouldn't say it's ported to Mac until it will compile with Qt4/Cocoa rather than Qt4/X11.

> - Successful compilation will also require an installation of R (http://www.r-
> project.org). I do fear that the cmake-code checking for R may also need
> adjustments, but at the moment we do not even get to this point.

Yeh, the CMake might need fixed but it can be manually pointed to R fairly easily.

> If you are interested to read about our failed efforts so far, see this mail-
> thread:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=4BE191E3.30603%40unil.ch&forum_name=rkward-
> users . But in short, the question is: Could you please tell us what we need
> to correct in our instructions?

1) Port out the X11 code
2) Fix the CMake code with the needed paths
3) Make a Fink and Macports package rather than getting users to compile manually.

To be honest, I wouldn't try and support Mac until one of your developers has access to one or one of your community volunteers to fix the above.

Hope this helps!

Mike Arthur
http://mikearthur.co.uk