[KDE/Mac] pintentry-qt4 integrated upstream

Till Adam adam at kde.org
Fri May 29 10:48:08 CEST 2009

Folks,

I wanted to give the interested parties a heads up that we've managed to get
pinentry-qt4, the Qt4 rewrite of the pinentry application for the gnupg crypto
stack, integrated into upstream gnupg. So now there is a pinentry available
that will look and work the same way on all relevant platforms. We based this
on the initial version in playground, written by Ingo Kloecker, if I remember
correctly, added a bunch of features like use of secmem, a password strength
meter, etc, to bring it to feature parity with and to the same level of
security as the other pinentry implementations in gnupg (console, gtk+, native
Windows). It is now integrated with gnupg's pinentry subversion module and
package and built as part of that if qt4 is found on the system. It can
crosscompile to windows via gcc's mingw target and builds natively on Mac and
Linux. It also builds natively on Windows, in theory, using cygwin's autotools
support. We have not been able to convince the gnupg community of moving to
cmake. Yet. ;) Since this is a standalone binary it should also work fine in
otherwise MSVC built KDE installations, for example, no linking required.

This means that the version in playgroud should be deprecated and no longer
packaged. Maybe we should remove it, or mark it as read-only? Ingo?

We, that is KDAB, Intevation and g10-code, are committed to maintaining this
version of pinentry along with the rest of gnupg and kdepim, of course. Making
this work has been a joint effort of said companies.

Cheers,

Till

--
Till Adam <adam at kde.org>
Director of Buying Shoes and Things Starting with K