[KDE/Mac] here there be updates

O illogical1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 03:02:45 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Chris Jones
<christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>
>> So 4.2.0 will have apps installed in /Applications/Macports/KDE4 with
>> no links in /opt/local/bin.
>> If they were to be installed in /opt/local/bin I would have had to
>> manually find and manually symlink the programs which belong only in /
>> Applications. That's a lot of work for not much payoff.
>
> I disagree, I think there is a need for this. Try firing up dolphin
> and navigate to a directory that contains some source code (X.cpp
> files for instance). Try clicking on one - If you get the same as me
> you will see a pop up proclaiming.
>
> "KDEInit could not launch 'kwrite'.:
> Could not find 'kwrite' executable."
>
> Now, try the same thing again, but this time after creating a sym-link
> to kwrite
>
>  > cd /opt/local/bin
>  > sudo ln -s /Applications/KDE4/kwrite.app/Contents/MacOS/kwrite
>
> This time, kwrite fires up.
>
> So I think it is more than just convenient to have the KDE apps in the
> path ?
Nope. This should be fixed properly. What you've just listed is a
workaround. KDE programs should be able to launch other KDE programs.
This would require registering themselves with Apple's mimetype system
I think (maybe all that's needed is xdg-open awareness, who knows?)
I'm very opposed to including workarounds (read: I will not do it) as
they tend to hang around and slow down the finding of proper
solutions.
As with all bugs, the inability to launch other KDE programs should be
reported to bugs.kde.org.

--

Fred Allen  - "Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."