[KDE/Mac] here there be updates

Chris Jones christopher.rob.jones at cern.ch
Sun Jan 25 21:25:39 CET 2009

>> Hi,

> So 4.2.0 will have apps installed in /Applications/Macports/KDE4 with
> no links in /opt/local/bin.
> If they were to be installed in /opt/local/bin I would have had to
> manually find and manually symlink the programs which belong only in /
> Applications. That's a lot of work for not much payoff.

I disagree, I think there is a need for this. Try firing up dolphin
and navigate to a directory that contains some source code (X.cpp
files for instance). Try clicking on one - If you get the same as me
you will see a pop up proclaiming.

"KDEInit could not launch 'kwrite'.:
Could not find 'kwrite' executable."

Now, try the same thing again, but this time after creating a sym-link
to kwrite

  > cd /opt/local/bin
  > sudo ln -s /Applications/KDE4/kwrite.app/Contents/MacOS/kwrite

This time, kwrite fires up.

So I think it is more than just convenient to have the KDE apps in the
path ?

> It's still possible to symlink the apps in /Application/Macports/KDE4
> into /opt/local/bin though. Matter of fact, sounds like a nice little
> project for you or Chris to tackle :-D

OK. Personally I think it more nature to have the apps in /opt/local/
bin and the sym links in /Applications though ...

cheers Chris